Sun 18 Oct - Day 34: Barbadelo to Gonzar 26km

700km walked. 85km left to walk.

Today we are truly into Tourigrino territory. Why? Because today I broke the "less than 100km left to go" barrier. Which is the distance that most Tourigrinos only walk. 

In addition, I also walked 700km (or more if you believe the markers along the Camino and put less emphasis on the guide book). 

Deb and I left Casa Barbadelo around 7.30am after indulging in a bacon and eggs breakfast there which was really good. 

The Galician weather proved to be as unpredictable as what I had understood it to be. It was supposed to be sunny with some clouds but it was overcast almost all day with small amounts of rain at times. 

Is this a dunny? Perhaps not. Grain storage maybe? I would have liked it to be an outdoor dunny...
Beautiful Galician landscape today yet again. Narrow country lanes. Rolling hills.  Cool weather perfect for walking. 
A note about chestnuts and their shells that seem to be found all over northwestern Spain. 
The hairy chestnut shells do sometimes look like tennis balls. The chestnuts can suddenly just drop down from the trees and if you are unlucky, which thankfully I haven't been yet, and one of them hitting your head...
This is of course how the chestnuts look like without their shells. 

You can constantly see Spaniards skimming through ground covers to harvest them. I can understand why, as roasted chestnuts are really tasty. I've tried them a couple of times while walking the Camino. 
In addition to chestnuts, there are plenty of apple trees along this part of the Camino. These apples had been harvested from a huge orchard. 
Beautiful landscape yet again. Did I mention that?
This 100km left to walk marker is a hoax. That is not true. The distance to Santiago de Compostela from here 
is probably 100.5km. 
Now this is the true 100km left to walk marker. I just had to have that occasion permanently marked with a photo. 
Unfortunately, the 100km marker was also tainted by graffiti. 
From here, there is less than 100km left to walk to Santiago de Compostela. 

You can see that marker from above to the left in this photo looking back to from where I walked from. So several meters further...
I did mention Turigrinos didn't I? These are Australians. Note their fancy and unwrinkled clothing, white gym shoes and the perfect hair of the lady to the left. 
Then this Spanish family. Some of them looked more like they were on their way to a yoga session rather than "walking the Camino".
The final Tourigrino picture from today. These two had new clothes, same brand of backpacks, I think same type of jackets. They were so cute holding hands at times. 
Fast forward to the lovely town of Portomarin, which is up the hill below. 
The river Rio Miño underneath the bridges can apparently get very wide as a lot of water gets collected by the river at times. 
Looking down from middle of the bridge. 
The main bridge from the Pontomarin side. Yes, the Spanish Tourigrino family is there too. 


The occasion required a selfie. 
Deb and I had lunch in Pontomarin. I had a barbecue pizza which was awful. I forced down half of the pizza just to be polite but no return business here. 
A couple of more pictures from Pontomarin. Yes, I liked it. 

On the homestretch to today's destination of Gonzar, there suddenly was barking. Where did that come from? From here. 3 dogs inside that trailer. 
Another occasion to be marked. 85km left means 700km walked. Accordion to the guidebook being Brierleys 2014 edition. 
OK me again noting the achievement. 
Tonight's hostel was called Casa Garcia and was in a rural setting. No wee-fee there. The local bar up the road had to provide that service. And that other essential service of... beer. 



Blister update: well, the blister "bubble" that I had yesterday was "gone" before the end of the night without me noticing. A small blister returned today but caused me no discomfort whatsoever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment